Friday, November 09, 2007

Day Nine

Our last day at sea, and I'm actually okay with that. I wouldn't have wanted it to be any shorter, and we both finally have our sea legs, but it's getting tiring to power-explore all these amazing places with so much gusto, and starting so early in the morning. We just don't want to miss time to see these places - making every moment count.

This morning, we woke up to RAIN - and lots of it - on the island of Crete. We hooked up with Tara from Winnipeg and Diane from Kelowna and hunted down a local cabbie who took us up to the Palace of Knossos, a driving tour of the old city in Heraklion, and 'the two most beautiful Greek Orthodox churches anywhere.' I'm not really any kind of expert on Greek Orthodox churches, but I'd imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find any more spectacular. I'll wait for pictures, because words won't cut it.

I think that what stuck out for me was just people-watching in Heraklion, around the square and in the churches. Few people could pass - on foot, on a bus, driving a car - without making the sign of the cross, and the two churches were full of locals putting their coins in a slot and lighting a candle, or methodically kissing every single image of the saints. It made me think about what my faith means: a personal relationship with my God, a relationship full of freedom and grace. It made me feel so fortunate.

Back on board for lunch. Around 3 pm, we began our approach toward the island of Santorini. I'm not really sure what to say. I've heard from so many people that approaching Santorini by boat is one of those essential life experiences, and now I know why. I was awestruck.

Santorini *was* a circular island until around 1600 BC, when the volcano in the centre of the island erupted violently - causing the centre of the island to literally drop into the sea. What's left is a crescent moon shaped island with deep cliffs where you can see all of the ancient layers of lava and sediment that created this island before the eruption. The villages of Thira and Oia are on the tops of these cliffs and mountains. From a distance, these clusters of whitewashed homes and shops look exactly like snow. In the centre of this moon shape is the volcano, still active - this black island that looks like the moon itself.

The ship docked in this water near the volcano, where we were transferred to the shore by tender boats. As I mentioned earlier, Thira is at the top of the cliffs - nearly 600 very steep steps up on the old cobblestone walking trail. Or a short, picturesque gondola ride. Or an adventurous (slightly smelly) 20-minute donkey ride.

Friends, Lindsay rode a donkey. Up an incredibly steep cliff, at sunset, overlooking the caldera in Santorini. Pictures to follow.

Santorini, for me, was one of those life experiences that scared me. I'm not sure if other people can relate but sometimes in those absolutely perfect moments, I find it a little bit hard to breathe.

Once you identify that moment as one of Those Moments, you are left with a critical choice. You can try to dissect it and find some fault, so that the moments that follow (the rest of your life) won't run the risk of disappointing you. Or you can choose to let go, embrace it fully, and LIVE. I've had a few of these moments over my 26 years, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've chosen the former more often than the latter. I'm getting better. And last night in Santorini, I definitely chose the latter. We walked along the cliffs and stopped at an outdoor cafe with a view of the caldera. It was kind of perfect.

Then, after dark, it was back to the boat for the last time. We met up with the two younger couples we'd been having dinner with, and enjoyed dinner together. Then we packed and got ready to go to London in the morning.

This concludes Phase Two. Four days left in London, then we're home on Tuesday night. I'm so content. What a fantastic adventure :)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At November 09, 2007 8:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You rode a donkey?? I can't even imagine it. I laughed out loud and yelled it to your father. That's a life experience you won't forget. I'm so glad you could do this together. What memories!
love
Mom

 
At November 09, 2007 8:38 AM, Blogger gloria said...

sounds perfect Lindsay.

 
At November 09, 2007 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, a donkey? Ha, ha, ha!!! (Yes THAT deserved 3 exclamation marks.) I can't wait to see pictures. Second, it all sounds so wonderful. What a great life experience and memory. So happy for you.

 
At November 09, 2007 10:09 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I cannot believe you rode a donkey and will need to see the undoctored photo to believe it.

It sounds breathtaking. I can hardly wait until you put some pictures up here.

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home