Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The One Where Things Take A Little Turn For The Better

Briony has a bona fide, full-blown head cold that has given her a gurgly cough (in her throat, not her lungs, thank god) and a tiny little baby nose that is chock full of runny white snot. I'm sorry that you had to read that. But it's true. She isn't running a fever and she's eating and sleeping normally still, except that she wakes up kind of angry because of all the gurgly snot (Geoff tells me it's a 'postnasal drip' but I feel like 'gurgly snot' paints a more accurate picture, don't you?). This means that I was up with her five or six times during the night when she half-woke up and started to freak out. It took about ten seconds to get her back to sleep each time, but it made for an incredibly short night. And I still felt like death. I kicked Geoff in the back once to get him to take a turn, and asked him to get up and feed her when she woke up for the day just after 5 am (we're obviously still on Manitoba time here). I thought that this was a rather good plan for me to get another hour of sleep, but she was fussy for Geoff and I ended up getting up four times to help calm her down, effectively using up one valuable Husband Favour without getting any extra sleep to show for it. I hate when that happens. I wish I could say that I handled the situation with love and grace, but my poor husband was on the receiving end of some kind of ugly Lindsayness this morning. It's *so* hard when everyone is sick at the same time.

Well before 7 am, I'd given up and jumped in the shower before making breakfast for the whole crew here. After breakfast, Geoff went back to bed (lucky bastard) and Briony and I walked to go get groceries. We got home around lunchtime, and after making lunch for the gang, I convinced Geoff to get dressed and join Briony and I outside to eat. By the time we finished eating, he declared that he thought he'd live and we loaded up Briony to run a few errands. When we got back, it was naptime for Briony, and Geoff settled in on the couch to be within earshot of her while I took a caramel macchiato iced blended coffee (which the lady behind me in line noted was worth only three Weight Watchers points, hehe) and my new issue of Vanity Fair outside in the sunshine (oh, and the phone - I talked to my mom for a bit). It was glorious. Oh, how I've missed OUTSIDE.

Then it was inside to make dinner, and here I am catching up on blogging the not-too-exciting details of our first few days on the west coast. It looks to be a quiet and uneventful week, and I'm pretty okay with that. We'll probably head into Vancouver again at some point - and we're pondering a half-day shopping trip to Washington - but mostly we're planning on lots of walking around and hanging out.

Geoff is still feeling sick, but a heck of a lot better than he's been since we got here. Briony is still our little snot queen, and fussier than usual, but even a fussy Briony is probably still happier than most babies, so we're surviving. I still have a small heart attack every time I hear that cough, though. And I'm hanging in there. My fibro is better than yesterday, but worse than usual. I don't think I'm running a fever anymore, and it's pretty much just my throat that's still bothering me.

Here's hoping that our whole little family wakes up healthy tomorrow. Hey, I think I've said that before recently... Sigh. Anyway. I am truly grateful for this little bit of progess we've experienced today. This afternoon felt so much better, like we're all on the same team again. Go Team Wright.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At April 30, 2009 12:02 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

Aw. I hope B gets better soon. Sick babies are never fun, but they are cuddly at least. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home